Cherokee County DUI: Do I Have to be on Probation?

Posted by William H. Sherman on Jul 09, 2014 | 0 Comments

Question:  I'll give you some facts for my DUI case.  I have just about always lived in Cherokee County.  I've lived in Marietta and Woodstock.  I went to Reinhardt University in Waleska and when I got hurt playing football I went to Northside Hospital Cherokee.  My favorite Bar-B-Q restaurant is Williamson Bros. in Canton.

The other night I had a fight with my girlfriend and I left the house after I had been drinking some tequila shots and growler beer.  I know that I should not have left, but I really needed some fresh air and I thought she was going to smack me.  I drove not more than a mile when I got stopped.  The cop arrested me for DUI and speeding and took me to the jail.

My question has to do with probation.  If I get a job in Florida selling boats with my uncle then I will have to move to Fort Lauderdale.  And if I move I really won't be able to afford to come up to Cherokee for probation.  I was on probation once for pot in Canton and I had to meet my probation officer at least once a month.  Is there any way that I don't have to do probation, assuming that I get convicted of my first DUI?

Answer:  If you are convicted of or plead guilty to DUI, probation is mandatory.  State law explicitly provides that you serve probation.  However, if you need to move out of state, your probation can become what is referred to as “call-in/write-in,” as long as that is approved by the court and the probation officer.  That way you do not need to appear each and every month in Cherokee, but you can “check-in” via the phone or Internet.

We have handled many DUI cases for non-Georgia residents where probation either starts off as call-in/write-in or it becomes that due to a move out of state.  You will want your attorney to negotiate that at your court date.

About Us

Got arrested for DUI in Cherokee County?  Then you need skilled, aggressive and experienced representation by a Cherokee County DUI lawyer.  The Sherman Law Group is here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with your Cherokee county DUI. Call us now at 678-215-4106.

About the Author

William H. Sherman

With a professional background that includes serving as a Senior Assistant County Attorney and as an Assistant Attorney General, attorney William H. Sherman has great experience, a broad range of legal knowledge and a proven record of success.  Each of Mr. Sherman's clients gets the full benefit of his experience.  Because attorney Sherman has worked for governmental organizations, large corporations and clerked for a judge, he has handled a wide variety of cases from negotiation and trial to successful appeal. Mr. Sherman is very proud of his reputation as a problem-solver who is always available to his clients.  Active in the community, Mr. Sherman and his wife, attorney Valerie Sherman, support many community organizations, sports teams and charities.  Call him now and let his experience work for you.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

What our clients say...

“I just wanted to write to say that I feel so lucky to have chosen the Sherman Law Group as my attorneys. I was going through such a very difficult legal situation. It was emotionally charged and draining. But Valerie Sherman and Bill Sherman were so supportive, hardworking and helpful. I loved that the firm was always updating me and letting me know what was going on in my case. You always returned my calls and emails. Thank you all for making it work out great for me.”

What our clients say...

“I wanted to thank you for giving me back my life after many awful months. My family and I want to thank you very much for representing my case. We are so grateful to have such wonderful attorneys like you. I know I can rely on you. We will always recommend you to those who are in need of the services of a law firm. We were so happy and excited this morning as we heard the announcement by the Judge. You are such wonderful people at The Sherman Law Group.”