"My ex-husband stopped paying child support"

Posted by William H. Sherman on Jan 21, 2015 | 0 Comments

Question: My husband hasn't paid child support in 4 months.  He makes a lot of money working for a big bank in Atlanta and he spends his money on his new girlfriend who used to be a stripper and on his boat and on his Corvette collection.  So he has money to pay child support but he refuses to pay me.

He said that he doesn't feel like he should pay me now that I have a job.  He says that I spend too much money on myself for clothes and shoes and cosmetics.  But I really don't and I actually spend much less on myself than when we were married.  When we were married he encouraged me to have plastic surgery on my lips and my buttocks (I had a Brazilian butt lift).

And he said my daughter shouldn't play the tuba because he said it's a dumb instrument.  But she loves the tuba and wants to take lessons 3 days a week.  She wants to play for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra someday.

So he just stopped paying child support.  Now I need a child support attorney.  What should I do to make him pay?  Can he just stop paying support?

M.A. in Roswell

Answer: No, your former husband cannot just unilaterally stop paying child support.  You need to file a contempt petition to have a court order him to pay you the child support.  If he still refuses he can be sent to jail for contempt.

That he thinks you spend too much money on yourself and that he is unhappy with your daughter's choice of musical instrument is irrelevant.  If he wants to try to modify his child support obligation, he needs to file a petition with the court and legally demonstrate why such a modification is warranted.

About Us

Need a top-rated Roswell child support lawyer?  Just call us at 678-215-4106.

Our hands-on, real-life experience includes serving as a Magistrate Judge, an Assistant Attorney General and as a Senior Assistant County Attorney.

When you need a child support attorney in Roswell, our team will answer any questions you have and help you navigate through the entire process.  We handle cases throughout the Atlanta metro area and North Georgia.

About the Author

William H. Sherman

With a professional background that includes serving as a Senior Assistant County Attorney and as an Assistant Attorney General, attorney William H. Sherman has great experience, a broad range of legal knowledge and a proven record of success.  Each of Mr. Sherman's clients gets the full benefit of his experience.  Because attorney Sherman has worked for governmental organizations, large corporations and clerked for a judge, he has handled a wide variety of cases from negotiation and trial to successful appeal. Mr. Sherman is very proud of his reputation as a problem-solver who is always available to his clients.  Active in the community, Mr. Sherman and his wife, attorney Valerie Sherman, support many community organizations, sports teams and charities.  Call him now and let his experience work for you.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

What our clients say...

“I just wanted to write to say that I feel so lucky to have chosen the Sherman Law Group as my attorneys. I was going through such a very difficult legal situation. It was emotionally charged and draining. But Valerie Sherman and Bill Sherman were so supportive, hardworking and helpful. I loved that the firm was always updating me and letting me know what was going on in my case. You always returned my calls and emails. Thank you all for making it work out great for me.”

What our clients say...

“I wanted to thank you for giving me back my life after many awful months. My family and I want to thank you very much for representing my case. We are so grateful to have such wonderful attorneys like you. I know I can rely on you. We will always recommend you to those who are in need of the services of a law firm. We were so happy and excited this morning as we heard the announcement by the Judge. You are such wonderful people at The Sherman Law Group.”