Question: I live in Sandy Springs and my husband said he wants a divorce so I'm pretty shaken up now. I need a Sandy Springs divorce lawyer now. We have been married for almost 25 years. We have 3 children. We adopted two and had one by a surrogate. He always worked and I stayed at home. He said he didn't want me to have a job. I did all the work around the house and raised the kids and I'm a gourmet cook. One time I got a job but he made me quit after 2 weeks.
He has lost a lot of money gambling and he was treated for alcoholism and bi-polar disorder at Peachford. He lost his job because he missed too many days of work. But he has savings and he started a business here in Sandy Springs where he does a lot of work around the country for technology companies based in Georgia.
Since I haven't worked in a long time and I didn't graduate from high school or college and because our kids are all less than 10 years old I'm very worried. I think I can get child support because he said he'd pay that but he said he won't pay me alimony. Can I get alimony?
Answer: From your description of the situation it appears that you may very well be entitled to alimony. A court will examine a number of factors to determine if alimony should be paid, and these include:
- the extent to which the earning capacity of each party
- the marketable skills of the supported party
- the job market for the supported party's skills
- the possible need for retraining or education
- the ability of the supporting party to pay spousal support
- the needs of each party based on the standard of living established during the marriage
- the duration of the marriage
- the ability of the supported party to engage in gainful employment without unduly impacting the children
- the age and health of the parties
Based upon a review of the above-referenced factors (and there are more to be considered as well), it seems that you may have a compelling case for alimony.
As experienced and knowledgeable Sandy Springs divorce and family law attorneys, we are here for you. We work hard every day to ensure that are clients refer to us as “the best family law and divorce lawyers in Sandy Springs.” Our phone number is 678-215-4106.
Richard Lawson Reply
Posted May 11, 2014 at 19:52:49
Excellent points. I think anyone would be well served with your firm helping them with a divorce case. Keep up the good work!
Richard Lawson Attorney at Law
Leave a Comment